Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Home Sweet Home (Guest House)

Here is a picture of Albert and I and my "we're finally here!!" face.


The first line in my journal about Cambodia says the following, "Holy Hellish Hot!!"  Yup, pretty much.  You literally start sweating from pores you didn't know you had as soon as you step outside.  After we landed we had a 20 minutes drive to our new home for the next  2 weeks, "Home Sweet Home Guest House."  You remove your shoes before entering, eat outside under a canopy, the guest house staff is amazing and installed fans (what they are calling "Wheels of drying") outside and upgraded to wifi in our honor.  I roomed with Vivian (a Math teacher here to teach gardening) in room 204. Our rooms were airconditioned, we eventually had hot water, and became increasingly grateful for the flushing toilets.


Sitting under a mango tree, practicing counting in Khmer, and hanging out with my new friends and really family for the next couple of weeks.  Dinner is buffet style and super tasty rice, noodles with stirfry, curry, and fruit (pineapple, mangos, the best bananas on earth, and dragonfruit).  This is a typical dinner for us here and always tastes amazing.  The guest house will cater us food at the school for lunch and breakfast tends to consist of bread and jam, spam, pancakes or french toast, little pan-fried weiners we called chromosones, and more delicious fruit. 


We quickly became good friends with the guest house staff.  We met awesome other people staying there as well.  The staff threw us a farewell party our last day (which I'll blog about later), gave us all scarves, and even came to see us off at the airport.  When they saw what we were doing at the school they decided to help in the best way they could...by bringing nutritious treats for the kids when they delivered our lunches.  It was awesome to stay there and I hope I can stay there again if I ever make it back!

No comments:

Similar Stories

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Background