Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Welcome to Singapore...and other airport adventures



To get to Cambodia is a 2-3 day process.  We first flew to LAX where we saw Michael Cera... you know that kid from Juno!?  That was pretty cool.  We had a 5 hour layover there and then we loaded onto Singapore Airlines.  That was a huge plane...an Airbus to be exact.  I had seen a movie about those at Clark Planterium and was excited to fly on one.  The food was good some of the time but always edible. 


The best part of the flights was the huge selection of movies to watch and the icecream.  They also gave us all blankets, socks, and a toothbrush with a tiny tube of toothpaste.  I sat by Annalisa most of the time.  First we flew to Tokyo (11 hour flight and we crossed the International Date Line).  In Tokyo the bathrooms were hilarious (there were many different types of stalls and then a whole bunch of buttons, including an extra flushing sound).  Albert, Amanda, and I had to take our typical "Asian" picture...sorry to sterotype but that is totally what it was.  After a couple of hours there we boarded our plane again to head to Singapore on an 7 hour flight. 

The Singapore airport is pretty epic...a ton of gardens, movie theaters, lounge chairs, free internet, a wii area, a spa, a hard rock cafe....lots to entertain us for our 13 hour layover. We also had the opportunity to take a 2 hour bus tour of Singapore (unfortunately no pirates were to be found).



Fun Facts:  Singa = Lion and Pore = City; To own a house in Singapore you have to be 21+ years old and be married; 585 Singapore islands will fit in Japan.

There was a lot of crazy architecture and different churches.  Muslim, Jewish, Catholic, Hindu, and Chinese Methodist.  We had the opportunity to stop and explore a Taoist Temple, which was beautiful.

I was starting to get to know more of our team and was in awe at what an ambitious and strong group of people they are.

1 comment:

Maybury said...

I love all the pictures and the notes. I think it looks like an absolutely wonderful trip. I would get attached to the kids too. They are absolutely adorable. I am so glad you got a chance to go. It looks wonderful. I can tell it is hot. Everyone looks like they just ran a marathon in 100 degree weather!

Similar Stories

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Background